Young Playwrights Festival
We invite all Michigan high school students to submit a one-act play to our annual juried competition. Six original works, written by high school students, will be chosen to be produced by students and performed on the stage of the City Opera House.
City Opera House, Old Town Playhouse, National Writers Series and the MSU Federal Credit Union Institute for Arts & Creativity are happy to announce the 5th Annual Young Playwrights Festival. The Young Playwrights Festival is a showcase of six original works, written by high school students, produced by students and performed at the City Opera House.
Michigan high school students are invited to submit a one-act play to a juried competition. Twelve semifinalists are chosen, and from those 12 the jury will select the six finalists whose plays will be produced. The six finalists will each be assigned a professional theatre mentor who will assist the playwright with revising their play. Each finalist will receive a $100 award and a staged production of their play performed by Traverse City-area actors.
- Script Entry Deadline: December 7, 2015
- Semifinalists Announced: January 2016
- Finalists Announced: February 2016
- Free Public Performance: Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 1:30pm
Documents included in the Student Information Packet are:
- Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- Festival Highlights
- Script Submission Rules
- Sample Script Format
- Application Form – REQUIRED
- Cover Sheet (1) – REQUIRED
- Description Pages (6) – REQUIRED
HOW TO ENTER
To be eligible, each participant must:
- Be a Michigan high school student in grades 9 – 12.
- Be sponsored by a teacher willing to serve as the liaison between City Opera House, the school, and the student applicant.
- Submit an application form with script. Parent, sponsoring teacher and student signatures are required.
- Finalists must be willing to work with an assigned professional theatre mentor to revise their play; writers who cannot commit to revising their plays will have their eligibility revoked.
All plays must:
- Be original works.
- Have no more than four characters.
- Require only simple props, costumes, settings, and effects.
- Have a maximum length of 12 pages.
All required forms and sample script format are available in the Student Information Packet.
All entries must be postmarked by Monday, December 7, 2015.
For more information and to mail application and scripts contact:
Young Playwrights Festival Attn: Minda Nyquist
c/o Old Town Playhouse 148 E. Eighth St.
Traverse City, MI 49684